Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Tax. This is Angel."

"Angel, baby. I need your help." Her voice and the infliction in those few words were enough to place her as a black woman in her 60's. Maybe even 70's.

"I'm trying to find out what I need to do to get a spot at the Halstead Fair. Angel, baby. I used to make it happen down there. You should have seen it. Me and Edward would set-up and he'd hit the pavement, bringing in everyone. He was beautiful. He could just make it happen. And we'd made bank, Angel baby. We'd make bank! When we were done, Edward would put the babies to bed, cause my babies was young then, and we'd go dancing. And you knew who was from where by how they danced. It ain't like it is now. Them northside girls always had the long dresses. I don't know why they wore them dresses like that. They would hang all on the floor and get dirty. Now my babies are all grown an' they don't come to see their momma no more. It's just me. But Angel, baby. You can tell me what I need to set-up shop. It was beautiful. Even without Edward, I'm gonna make bank. Maybe my babies will come down and help their momma.We got some things around here we's can sell. I got old dresses I don't wear no more. The kids' old toys. There's some parts for the car Edward was working on, they just been sittin' in the yard. I can't sell his clothes. I need those, Angel baby. I need those. I'm gonna go see what else I can sell. Alright now, Angel baby."

"That'd be great," I answered.

"You take care, Angel baby. It was sure nice talking to you."

"You too, ma'am."

She hung up.

I didn't have the heart to tell her the Halstead Fair hasn't operated in over 30 years.

No comments: