Wednesday, October 8, 2008

2008 Will Not Stop Fucking Me . . .

When my Student Aid Renewal was being processed this summer, a box checked 'Yes,' should have been checked 'No.' Before I go into this, let me five you an explanation of how my school works.

On paper, DePaul is a little over $30,000 a year. Nobody pays that. Instead, DePaul gives students a Grant that brings down the student's liability to something a sane person would pay for a so-so education. That grant is issued once a year when the Department of Education forwards along their Student Aid information.

Since that tiny, little box was marked 'Yes,' my information wasn't passed along, and DePaul didn't issue their precious Grant. I took to the financial aid office and had the problem with the boxes resolved, but the best they could do was put me on a wait list for my Grant. Apparently, the school gave out all the money it could. All I can do is wait until some suburbanite fuckstick decides his band is more important than a communications degree.

The annoying thing is that as it stands, DePaul says I owe $12,000 grand. Four grand per quarter (winter/fall/spring). I can't register for any of my winter classes until the fall balance is paid. As a senior, there are six classes I need in order to graduate. I've spent the last two months speaking/yelling at every academic and financial institution I can think of. Today I met with an agent in my school's finance department. He was the first helpful person I've met in during this entire ordeal. This means he won't be there between now and any time I go back to that office. He looked at my account and shook his head. He left the office and returned a few minutes later. I ask, "Is something the matter?"

"If you made 90 dollars less, I could get you on an emergency grant."

I thought back a year-and-a-half ago to the grappling match that was my annual performance and salary review. I walked out of my boss' office feeling like a fucking maverick after successfully negotiating for a 2% increase to what he had originally proposed.

I sink in my chair. "I guess the question is, can I withdraw, spend the next eleven months working on my tan, then re-enroll at the start of the 09/10 year with the DePaul Grant in effect?"

"Is that what you want to do," he asks.

"No. To be honest, I wanted to get the hell out of this place as soon as possible. No offense."

He motions to the opened door, suggesting I close it.

"Okay, so we can't give you a grant until enough people drop. And you can't register for classes until the four grand is paid."

"Which I can't do."

"Which you can't do. But can you pay $2,600 on January 8th?"

My interest is piqued.

He continues on, "Now, I'm not offering anything to you. I'm merely speculating. The last day to register for Winter classes is January 8th. If you can come in on that day, and pay me $2,600 - I can at least get you through the winter quarter.
The son of a bitch is low-balling my future. I love this.

"Don't classes start the first week of January?"

"They do. So what I'm suggesting is that on the first day of the quarter, you show up to the classes you want. Talk with the professors beforehand, let them know you're being screwed around on your financial aid and that you'll be added to the class roster next week."

He's advising me to crash my last remaining classes, as if they were a party I wasn't invited to - which isn't too far off base.

It should be noted, he's not cutting me a deal. After I post the $2,600, I have to pay the remaining balance within 30-days.

He walked me to the lobby and wished me luck.

So my academic future holds some uncertainty. And with that begins the First Annual A.v.E Twelve-Hundred-Dollar-Thon.

Anyone? Anyone?

No comments: