Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shutter Island . . .

I originally drafted a long, laborious write-up of Shutter Island and my relationship with Scorsese over the past 20 years. But I think I can explain my disdain more economically.

Have you ever been in a place where you can tell everyone is keeping something from you? Either you've walked in on what's going to be a prank. Or the rest of the staff doesn't want to tell you that the order came from the DM: You'll never work in a Blockbuster Video in this state again, no way - no how. Or nobody wants to be the one to tell you your dad just died.

Shutter Island
feels that way throughout it's entirety. And at nearly two and a half hours you just want someone to come out and say what you've been expecting that entire time.

I'd still suggest you watch it as A) It's better to see it before someone flat out tells you what happens and B) It's Martin Scorsese - the man gave us some of the best American movies of all-time. You're not paying to see Shutter Island. You're paying to say 'thank you' for your contribution to the humanities.

If you can't do that at least send PBS ten bucks.

No comments: